Today it’s great to have Jud Brewer on the podcast. Dr. Brewer is a New York Times best-selling author, addiction psychiatrist and neuroscientist. He is an associate professor and the Director of Research and Innovation at the Center for Mindfulness at Brown University and the Executive Medical Director of Behavioral Health at Sharecare Inc. He has developed clinically proven app-based mindfulness trainings including those to help people with quitting smoking, emotional eating and anxiety. He is the author of The Craving Mind: from cigarettes to smartphones to love, why we get hooked and how we can break bad habits (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2017) and Unwinding Anxiety: New Science Shows How to Break the Cycles of Worry and Fear to Heal Your Mind (Avery/PenguinRandom House, 2021).
- Why Jud practices mindfulness
- How to break unhealthy habits and addictions
- What “everyday addictions” are
- Can addictions be reversed?
- Why we prefer cake to broccoli
- The shortcomings of willpower
- Jud discusses discipline and changing behaviors
- The role of anxiety in habit formation
- The science of curiosity
- Understanding our cravings
- What anxiety sobriety is