Today we have David Buss on the podcast. David is a professor of psychology at University of Texas, Austin, and is one of the founders of the field of evolutionary psychology. His primary research focus is on strategies of human mating, particularly the dark side of human mating nature, including conflict between the sexes, jealousy, stalking, intimate partner violence, and murder. David is author of a number of books on mating, including The Evolution of Desire and most recently, Why Men Behave Badly: The Hidden Roots of Sexual Deception, Harassment, and Assault.
- What is “mating”?
- Why David became interested in evolutionary psychology
- David’s response to critics of evolutionary psychology
- David and Scott discuss the replication crisis
- How evolutionary psychology research can combat gender violence
- What gave rise to the #MeToo movement?
- “The bad boy paradox”
- How dark triad traits manifest in women
- David’s thoughts on the “pickup artist” community
- David and Scott discuss the “light triad” and positive evolutionary psychology