Hi, I’m Scott! I’m am author, researcher, speaker, and author, who is interested in using psychological science to help all kinds of minds live a creative, fulfilling, and meaningful life. I’m insatiably curious about the mind, brain, and behavior, and like to share my enthusiasm for these topics through my writing, podcast, and teaching. I received a Ph.D. in cognitive psychology from Yale University, and an M. Phil in experimental psychology from the University of Cambridge under a Gates Cambridge Scholarship.
My writing has appeared in The Atlantic, Scientific American, Psychology Today, and Harvard Business Review, and I write a regular column at Scientific American called Beautiful Minds. I also host The Psychology Podcast, which was recently named by Business Insider as a podcast that “will change how you think about human behavior”.
In 2013, I published Ungifted: Intelligence Redefined, which reviewed the latest science of intelligence and also detailed my experiences as a child growing up with a learning disability. In the book, I outlined the Theory of Personal Intelligence, which goes beyond traditional metrics of intelligence (e.g., IQ, standardized tests), and takes into account each person’s unique abilities, passions, and personal goals. As a result of my work redefining intelligence, I was listed as one of “50 groundbreaking scientists who are changing the way we see the world” by Business Insider. Here’s a recent TEDx talk on the topic:
My latest book is Wired to Create: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Creative Mind, which I co-authored with the journalist Carolyn Gregoire. In Wired to Create, we review the latest science of creativity, and argue that creativity is a lifestyle that anyone can cultivate by continually engaging in a series of habits– from daydreaming to mindfulness to being open to new experiences.
Some fun facts:
- From 2014-2017, I was scientific director of the Imagination Institute, where I oversaw a project to advance the measurement, growth, and improvement of imagination across all sectors of society.
- I am on the advisory board of The Future Project, an amazing non-profit dedicated to working with schools to unlock the limitless potential of every young person in this country.
- I am the “Positive Creativity Cultivator” of the upcoming Amazon video series Pete the Cat– the coolest cat ever with a groovy guide to life!
- I co-founded The Creativity Post with my good friends Milena Fisher and Elliot Samuel Paul.
- I like to sing (musical theatre and opera), play the cello, and dance (hip hop)! But usually not all at the same time.
- In 2005 and 2007, I was rejected from American Idol. So I did what I do best: I analyzed how to win American Idol.
I’ll leave you with a collaboration I did with Disney to inspire children to dream big and believe in themselves: